Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Is it Okay to be Ashamed?


I retract my previous statements about Pierce Lewis. The man was right. To be quite honest, I think most Americans couldn't identify Australia on a map!

2 comments:

The Goat's Friend said...

You were probably right in BOTH cases ... but it's true, the degree of geographical ignorance is really pretty amazing, and more alarming still is WHY people think it's okay to be so dense. Not students; we try to hold your feet to the fire, and make sure you get at least the essentials, but there's so much more about the world around, and about what's going on, that what can only be described as "willful ignorance" is just creepy. And it makes "us" -- meaning Americans, I guess -- seem all the more dense and out of it. Not a pretty thought.

The Goat's Friend said...

Checked in for your final word, but I guess I get to have it ... it's been a pleasure having you in this geographical world, and you've done a nice job with most of your materials; don't let up.